Encinitas Drug Crime Defense Lawyers
Encinitas is a beach community located about 25 miles north of Downtown San Diego. Nestled between Solano Beach and Carlsbad, the city boasts spectacular ocean views, a quaint downtown, and pleasant weather all year round.
There’s great surfing in Encinitas, along with fine dining and scenic botanic gardens. Locals and visitors enjoy great coffee and fantastic outdoor activities such as hiking, rollerblading, and bike riding. Encinitas is also a wonderful place for reflection and relaxation and a world-renowned center for yoga and other mindful activities.
The last thing you want to worry about when you’re living in a beautiful place like Encinitas is legal problems. But if you’re facing drug charges, our team at jD Law Criminal Defense Attorneys are the people you’ll want to speak with. Call (760) 630-2000 to learn more today.
Drug charges in California are no joke. There are several offenses that could result in heavy fines and decades in jail if you don’t have the proper legal defense. A drug conviction can also impact your right to own firearms and have negative consequences on your immigration status. Some of the more serious drug offenses include:
- Possession of a controlled substance while armed: A controlled substance is a drug or narcotic that has been declared illegal by California or federal law. Possession while armed is punishable by a maximum fine of $10,000 and up to 4 years in prison.
- Manufacturing a controlled substance carries fines of up to $50,000 and a maximum penalty of 7 years in jail. Making the following drugs in California is a felony: heroin, ecstasy, crack cocaine, PCP, LSD, and methamphetamines.
- Transportation of a controlled substance. No matter how a drug is classified or scheduled, transporting it carries a maximum fine of $20,000 and a up to 9 years in prison.
- Drug Trafficking: This may sound like something that only big-time drug dealers get convicted of, but under California law, trafficking may include transporting, selling, or importing drugs. It carries fines of up to $20,000 and up to 9 years in jail. And there are aggravating factors that can add up to 5 years to your sentence, including transporting a large volume, selling to a minor, trafficking near a drug treatment center, and proving drugs to someone who is pregnant, a convicted felon, or someone who has a mental health disorder.
In addition to California drug laws, drug crimes are also subject to federal prosecution. This means facing trial in a federal court and being investigated by federal law enforcement including the FBI and the DEA. Federal drug penalties can be severe, with lifetime prison sentences and fines of $20 million or higher.
Federal prosecutors advance their careers by putting people away for a long time, and they can be very aggressive in pursuit of a conviction. They will often threaten to put people in jail if they won’t provide information that leads to the conviction of major traffickers. You need the right Encinitas criminal lawyer to protect you from this type of intimidation.
People who are facing charges for drug possession, being under the influence, and some other offenses may be able to avoid jail time thanks to alternative sentencing options known as drug diversion laws, also referred to as Proposition 36 or PC-1000. Your attorney may be able to arrange a plea deal that includes the following types of conditions:
- Out-patient counseling
- Drug treatment
- Residential drug treatment
- Drug education classes
At jD Law Criminal Defense Attorney, we will employ every available strategy to protect your freedom. We have successfully used the following types of legal defenses in the past to protect our clients who were accused of drug crimes:
- The drugs were not in your possession
- Illegal search and seizure
- Planted or fabricated evidence
- Mistaken identity
- Police misconduct
- False accusations
- Police entrapment using threats, harassment, or fraud
At jD Law Criminal Defense Attorneys, we know how to craft the right defense for the charges you face. We’ll do everything we can to protect your freedom.
Call (760) 630-2000 to meet with our outstanding legal defense team. At jD Law Criminal Defense Attorneys, we’re always on your side.
Don’t Waste Any Time!
Call us today for a FREE Consultation