San Marcos Sex Crime Attorneys
Boasting a mix of urban amenities and natural beauty, San Marcos provides residents with numerous parks, hiking trails, and recreational spaces, including the scenic Double Peak Park. However, even in such a beautiful and enjoyable city, sex crime allegations can rapidly diminish one’s quality of life.
Sex crimes are among the most stigmatized and vigorously prosecuted offenses, often resulting in severe consequences for those accused. If you find yourself facing such charges, it is essential to seek legal representation that not only understands the complexities of the law but also approaches your case with empathy and determination.
At jD Law Criminal Defense Attorneys, we comprehend the gravity of these charges and stand ready to provide effective and dedicated criminal defense services in San Marcos. Selected for the annual Super Lawyers listing from 2019 to 2021, founding attorney James N. Dicks is part of the elite 5% of attorneys in each state honored with this recognition. We are committed to guiding you through the intricacies of the legal process, safeguarding your rights, and preserving your reputation.
Contact us now for a free consultation at (760) 630-2000. Your defense begins here.
California law defines various sex offenses, each carrying severe consequences. It is crucial to be aware of these offenses to better comprehend the charges you may be facing:
- Sexual battery (California Penal Code § 234.4): Sexual battery involves the intentional and unwanted touching of intimate body parts for sexual arousal, gratification, or abuse.
- Rape (California Penal Code § 261): Rape is non-consensual sexual intercourse with another person.
- Statutory rape (California Penal Code § 261.5): Statutory rape pertains to engaging in sexual activity with a minor who is not legally able to give consent due to their age.
California uses a three-tiered system for felonies, categorized as follows:
- Class A felonies: These are the most severe sex offenses, often resulting in life imprisonment. An example is aggravated sexual assault with specific circumstances.
- Class B felonies: Penalties for Class B felonies may include imprisonment for up to 25 years to life. Examples encompass certain types of rape or sexual assault with aggravating factors.
- Class C felonies: These felonies carry penalties of imprisonment for up to four years. Examples include certain sexual battery offenses or lewd acts with a minor.
- Class D felonies: Penalties for Class D felonies may include imprisonment for up to four years. Examples encompass certain types of sexual exploitation or indecent exposure.
- Class E felonies: The least serious felonies related to sex offenses, Class E felonies can result in imprisonment for up to three years. Examples include certain instances of consensual sex offenses with a minor.
California uses determinate sentencing, where the length of the sentence is predetermined based on the crime and enhancements. Sentencing enhancements may increase the base sentence. For example, the use of a weapon during a crime can add additional years to the sentence. Moreover, California has a “Three Strikes” law, which mandates longer sentences for individuals with prior serious or violent felony convictions.
Mounting a solid defense against San Marcos sex offense charges requires a comprehensive understanding of the common defenses. Your sex crime defense lawyer may employ one or more of the following defenses when representing you:
- Consent: Demonstrating that the alleged victim gave voluntary and informed consent to the sexual activity is a pivotal aspect of many defense strategies.
- Mistaken identity: Establishing that the accused was wrongly identified as the perpetrator can be a potent defense strategy in challenging sex offense allegations.
- False accusations: Arguing that the accusations are false, motivated by personal vendettas, or made for other malicious reasons is a common defense strategy employed by skilled attorneys.
Facing sex offense charges can have severe consequences, both personally and professionally. A conviction of this nature can make finding employment difficult due to the negative connotations associated with such charges. It is crucial to understand the potential professional ramifications and plan accordingly.
Moreover, individuals facing sex offense charges often experience strained relationships with their loved ones, including family and friends. The stigma surrounding such allegations can lead to social isolation and damage to one’s reputation within their community, resulting in severe personal consequences. Therefore, it’s essential to be aware of the potential implications and work towards mitigating them, both personally and professionally.
Facing sex offense charges is an incredibly challenging experience. With the right San Marcos defense lawyer in your corner, you can help make sure your future is protected. At jD Law Criminal Defense Attorneys, we are committed to standing by your side, protecting your rights, and working towards the best possible outcome for your case.
Our San Marcos legal team is dedicated to ensuring you receive the comprehensive and compassionate legal representation you deserve. Call us at (760) 630-2000 today to schedule a free and confidential consultation.
Don’t Waste Any Time!
Call us today for a FREE Consultation
- January 25, 2024
The Consequences of Fleeing the Scene of a Traffic …
- January 15, 2024
Constructive vs. Actual Possession in Drug …
- January 5, 2024
California Use of Force: Self-Defense and Stand …