Cardiff Sex Crime Lawyers
When it comes to addressing sex crime allegations in Cardiff, you need a dedicated criminal defense attorney who understands the local dynamics and legal intricacies of the California criminal justice system.
At jD Law Criminal Defense Attorneys, we have the knowledge and experience required to defend your rights. Founded by James N. Dicks, a former Los Angeles Police Department investigator and a Certified Criminal Law Specialist, jD Law Criminal Defense Attorneys has been serving the community since 1990. With a focus on excellence, we specialize in handling sex crime cases in California.
Contact an aggressive Cardiff sex crime defense attorney today at (760) 630-2000 for a free consultation, and let us fight for your rights.
Under California law, there are several crimes are considered sex offenses, including:
- Sexual battery: Unwanted sexual touching without consent.
- Rape: Non-consensual sexual intercourse.
- Child molestation: Inappropriate sexual contact with a minor.
- Indecent exposure: Public exposure of genitalia or engaging in lewd acts.
- Child pornography: Creating, distributing, or possessing explicit materials involving minors.
If you are convicted of sexual assault in California, you could face severe consequences. The penalties imposed will vary based on your prior criminal history, whether you are accused of causing physical harm in the case, whether a weapon was used in the commission of the crime, and whether the act involved a minor. The penalties can include:
- Sex crimes involving minors and bodily harm may result in up to 25 years to life in prison
- Sexual assault cases may include up to 8 years in prison. If the act involved a minor, the penalties are higher, including up to 13 years in state prison.
- Lewd and lascivious acts. If accused of committing such an act with a minor person, you may face 25 years to life.
When it comes to defending against sex crime allegations, we employ a variety of legal defenses, including:
- Consent: Proving the alleged victim actually gave consent prior to the sexual act. These are typically “he said, she said” cases.
- Mistaken identity: It is established that the accused was not the perpetrator, with evidence such as an alibi, video footage, cell phone information, or other supporting evidence.
- Police errors: We examine the details of your case to identify any procedural violations, ensuring that your rights were not infringed upon during the investigation or trial.
A conviction for a sex offense is far more than losing your freedom and reputation. The long-term consequences include:
- Sex offender registration: Many convicted sex offenders are legally required to register as sex offenders, with the information available to any prospective employer, relationship partner, landlord, etc.
- Restricted movement: You may be restricted from living within a specific distance of a school or park.
- Difficulties with employment: Many employers run a background check on potential new hires and will pass over sex offenders.
- Disclosure: You are legally required to disclose a felony conviction on any application for employment.
- Restricted from owning a firearm: A felony conviction for a sex crime will restrict you from purchasing or owning a firearm.
If you are accused of any sex crime, whether misdemeanor or felony, it is crucial to have a skilled legal professional on your side who can protect your rights. At jD Law Criminal Defense Attorneys, Cardiff criminal defense lawyer James N. Dicks is experienced, aggressive, and strategic. He has every tool at his disposal to effectively defend your rights and reputation.
Exercise your right to remain silent and contact our firm immediately if you have been accused of any sex crime in the Cardiff area. Call (760) 630-2000 today to schedule your free consultation.
Don’t Waste Any Time!
Call us today for a FREE Consultation