San Diego Pedestrian Accident Attorneys
Have you been struck by a vehicle while walking in San Diego? Pedestrian accidents are frightening, and often lead to serious injuries or even death.
If your family is dealing with the aftermath of a pedestrian accident and you don’t know what to do next, contact the legal team at jD LAW, P.C., right away. We can help you through the process of filing a personal injury claim, and fight to get you the compensation you deserve. To set up a free consultation, call today at (760) 630-2000.
Drivers have a duty to avoid hitting pedestrians and must be particularly cautious in areas with heavy foot traffic and crosswalks. Common causes of pedestrian accidents include:
- Distracted Drivers: Drivers using their cell phones, adjusting the radio, or doing anything that takes their attention from the road are less likely to see pedestrians in the path of their vehicle, and will not maneuver out of the way or brake in time.
- Speeding Drivers: When a vehicle is traveling at high speeds, it is more likely to be involved in an accident that can have devastating consequences for a pedestrian.
- Impaired Drivers: Drivers under the influence of alcohol or drugs have reduced judgment, motor skills, and reaction times, which can lead to them hitting pedestrians.
- Poorly Maintained Vehicles: Vehicles that have not been maintained properly may suffer from equipment failures that lead directly to a collision between person and car.
Injuries from any vehicle crash can be critical, but because they are more vulnerable, pedestrians can suffer incredibly severe injuries even after low-speed collisions. A few miles per hour can be the difference between life and death in accidents of this nature. Common injuries to pedestrians after an accident include:
- Broken bones: Broken bones are painful and can require exhaustive medical treatment to mend properly. In severe cases, surgery may be required, and physical therapy, leaving a victim with large medical bills.
- Whiplash: Whiplash injuries to the neck and shoulders are common following a pedestrian accident. Torn muscles and tendons can require extended recovery times that keep victims out of work. In serious cases, surgery is need to repair the damage.
- Scrapes and Lacerations: Being thrown onto the street can result in serious cuts and scrapes. Even seemingly small wounds should be thoroughly cleaned in order to avoid serious infections.
- Internal Injuries: The blunt-force impact of a vehicle hitting a pedestrian can cause damage to the organs inside the pedestrian’s body. These injuries may not be apparent at first, which makes them particularly dangerous. If not treated right away, damage to organs or internal bleeding can be deadly.
- Spinal Cord Damage: Serious spine injuries can leave a victim dealing with partial or complete paralysis for the rest of his or her life. Victims can lose mobility in limbs, and never fully recover from the damage done to them.
- Traumatic Brain Injuries (TBI): Head injuries are always serious and often fatal following a pedestrian accident. Even minor injuries to the brain can cause permanent damage, and leave the victim battling to recover fully, if even possible.
When the accident is determined to be the fault of a reckless and negligent driver, victims can receive compensation for:
- Lost wages
- Medical costs
- Medical equipment
- Future medical costs
- Lost future earning capacity
- Pain and suffering
- Emotional distress
- Permanent physical impairment
The amount of compensation a victim receives depends on various factors, including the severity of the injuries suffered, how much he or she made before the crash, and the amount of insurance coverage the negligent vehicle operator has.
To get a clear idea of how to move forward with your case, schedule a consultation with an experienced San Diego car accident lawyer as soon as possible.
To protect your rights, and your loved ones, contact jD LAW, P.C., as soon as possible after the incident. Our legal team will aggressively represent you and your interests, and make sure that the negligent party is held accountable for their actions. Call our San Diego office at (760) 630-2000 to schedule a no-obligation consultation. Our friendly staff would be happy to hear about your case and let you know how we can help.
Don’t Wait A Second Longer
When you have been injured, or a loved one has been killed due to the negligence of another, you need legal help. Contact JD LAW, P.C., today to get the justice you deserve.
- January 21, 2020
In a Car Accident? What Now?
- December 22, 2019
Who Can Be Held Liable After a Truck Accident?
- December 11, 2019
What Is the Statute of Limitations for California …