San Diego Bike Accident Attorneys
Unlike most motor vehicles on the road, bicycles don’t have a protective steel frame surrounding their riders. Therefore, when cyclists are involved in a mishap of any kind, they can suffer serious, even life-altering injuries in a split-second. Even if a cyclist wears a helmet, most of his body is unprotected against the outside forces of collisions or falls. And it is an unfortunate fact that not all motorists practice appropriate caution when bicycles share the road.
If you or a loved one was struck by a moving vehicle or injured while avoiding a bad driver, you may be entitled to file a lawsuit for compensation, to help you recover from your injuries and cover expenses that were a direct result of the incident. Here at jD LAW, we have the knowledge and resources to get you the justice you deserve. Call us today at (760) 630-2000 for a free consultation with a dedicated San Diego car accident lawyer.
Very. We’re thankful that most are minor and do not involve being hit by a car. But we are here for the serious ones, the ones that create victims in Southern California. There are various accidents that can result in catastrophic injury or death, such as:
- Collisions with motor vehicles: All motorists are required to share the road with bicycles, but many drivers neglect this responsibility - they fail to be on the lookout for cyclists, or misjudge their distance or speed. If a motorist broke traffic laws or acted in a negligent manner and hit you, you have the right to pursue compensation in a court of law.
- Dooring: Poor city planning in and around San Diego makes this increasingly common. “Dooring” occurs when a driver or passenger opens a vehicle door in front of an oncoming bicyclist. Even at relatively low speeds, the cyclist will slam into the open door, or be thrown from his bike, or both, causing serious injuries. Some cyclists get involved in an accident with another vehicle while trying to avoid the open car door.
- Crashes caused by damaged roads: Bicyclists are more vulnerable to dangerous and defective roads than motor vehicles. A bicyclist going over a pothole, construction debris, or an uneven road can wipe out and end up with serious injuries. Maintaining roads is the local government’s responsibility.
- Collisions with pedestrians: Pedestrians are not always on the lookout for bikes, as they are for larger, louder motor vehicles. Many times, pedestrians are unaware of an oncoming bike and walk in its path, causing a collision.
- Accidents caused by defective parts: Some bicycles malfunction, or do not work as they are intended to or promised. Defective bike parts can lead to loss of control and a crash. If you have been the victim of an accident due to a defective part, the manufacturer of the part or mechanic who repaired your bike may be legally responsible for your accident.
Contrary to popular belief, bicyclists are not at fault for the majority of bicycle accidents. For the most part, these collisions are caused by motor vehicle drivers acting in a negligent and reckless manner.
After an accident on a bike, a cyclist should seek medical attention, no matter how minor the damage may seem initially. Many dangerous injuries don’t show up right away, and it’s best to be sure. Common injuries to cyclists following an accident include:
- Head Injuries: Concussions, brain contusions, skull fractures, and intracranial hemorrhage are common after a crash, even with a helmet on. Severe head injuries can result in permanent brain damage, and they are hard to diagnose at first.
- Face and Eye Injuries: Facial fractures, dental fractures, and contusions may require surgery to fix. Foreign bodies in the cornea can lead to permanent vision loss.
- Bone Injuries: Fractures, strains, and dislocations can be incredibly painful and require a large amount of time and physical therapy to heal properly.
- Internal Organ Injuries: Bleeding and internal organ rupture can result from intense blunt force trauma after a collision. The spleen, pancreas, and liver are in special danger.
- Lacerations: Deep cuts and open wounds can cause blood loss, organ damage, scarring, and can require surgery to treat.
You may be entitled to compensation for:
- Past medical bills
- Future medical bills.
- Lost wages.
- Any permanent disability.
- Pain and suffering.
- Additional costs for related expenses.
- Punitive damages, if the at-fault person or company did something really wrong to cause the accident.
- Funeral and burial costs, if you lost a loved one to wrongful death.
If you or a loved one has been hurt while riding a bike, and you suspect someone else was to blame, you need legal help right away. The experienced team at jD LAW, understands how difficult it can be to move on from a serious accident – especially without the adequate funds to cover it. That is why we provide aggressive representation for accident victims. We make sure you get the compensation and justice you are entitled to.
Call jD LAW, at (760) 630-2000 today to get started with a free case evaluation.
Don’t Wait A Second Longer
When you have been injured, or a loved one has been killed due to the negligence of another, you need legal help. Contact jD LAW, today to get the justice you deserve.