Carjacking Lawyers in San Diego
Understanding California Carjacking Law PC 215(a)
Carjacking is a form of robbery that involves the theft of a car or other automobile by means of force or threats. The victim of a carjacking either suffers bodily injury or was threatened with bodily injury personally or to his/her family. Carjacking is a violent crime and is covered under California's “Three Strikes and You're Out” law, meaning anyone convicted of a previous violent crime will face double the penalties for his or her next conviction. If you have been accused of carjacking, enlisting the help of a San Diego criminal defense lawyer from jD Law Criminal Defense Attorneys is your best bet to avoid maximum penalties. Attorney James N. Dicks is both a board certified criminal law specialist and a former police officer.
By offering you legal advice from the onset, your lawyer may be able to:
- Help you avoid a conviction
- Negotiate a plea bargain
- Have the charges dropped
What Are the Penalties for Carjacking in San Diego?
San Diego violent crime defense attorney James N. Dicks is ready to help you with your carjacking charge. He offers a free initial consultation to discuss your case and see how we can help you. Carjacking carries harsh penalties for anyone found guilty; a defense attorney is your only hope to avoid extensive incarceration in a California state prison. Although the standard state prison sentence for carjacking is 3, 5 or 9 years in state prison, often enhanced penalties apply.
- If kidnapping occurs, the sentence may be life with the possibility of parole.
- If a carjacker or person with a stolen vehicle crosses state lines, the penalty is 10 years in state prison. This is also a federal offense, with the backing of federal investigators and prosecutors.
- If someone is killed, this is 1st degree murder and the accused may face the death penalty.
Arrested for carjacking in San Diego? Contact our firm at (760) 630-2000 for the defense you need!
Don’t Waste Any Time!
Call us today for a FREE Consultation
Find out the status of your loved
one in San Diego County
- Criminal Law Expert - Led by a Board Certified Criminal Law Specialist. Read More
- 100s of Cases Tried - Since 1990, James N. Dicks has represented hundreds of clients. Read Bio
- Client Approved - Read our online testimonials from satisfied jD Law Criminal Defense Attorneys Clients. Yelp Reviews
- February 25, 2023
DUI in a Bus or Multi-Passenger Vehicle
- February 15, 2023
When You’re Arrested for Retaliating Against an …
- February 10, 2023
What If Someone Accuses You of Gaslighting Them?