Solana Beach DUI Defense Lawyers
Facing DUI Charges in North County? Call Us
California courts follow stringent laws regarding DUIs and can place significant charges against you if you are convicted. Defendants in DUI cases often face both criminal charges and administrative punishments, which can include license suspensions. Even if you manage to beat the criminal charges, you may still have to contend with the full ramifications of your charges if your license is suspended, which could impact your livelihood.
But a DUI is not an open and shut case if you work with the right attorney. At jD Law Criminal Defense Attorneys, our Solana Beach DUI defense lawyer has more than 30 years of experience defending clients against DUI charges, both in criminal courts and DMV hearings. With his aid, you may be able to enter a plea of wet reckless or have your charges dropped altogether. Whether this is your first charge, or you are a repeat offender, you deserve fair representation in the courtroom. That is why you should not hesitate to call jD Law Criminal Defense Attorneys at (760) 630-2000 for a free initial consultation and begin fighting your charges.
How Our Firm Can Represent You
Our legal team has been defending clients against North County DUIs for more than three decades and thoroughly understand how these cases are tried throughout San Diego County and beyond. When you bring your case to us, you can trust that we can prepare a strong defense against any charge you are facing, including:
- Underage DUI
- DUI & Drugs
- DUI with Injury
- Military DUI
- Out of State DUI
- Commercial DUI
- Rideshare DUI
- Boating Under the Influence
- Vehicular Manslaughter
While no two cases are the same, it is important to work with a lawyer who has experience defending clients against a variety of DUI charges. Whether you are a member of the military serving at Camp Pendleton or an out of state student attending UC San Diego, you need a lawyer who can respond to the unique intricacies of the law to get your charges reduced or dismissed.
Consequences of a DUI in Solana Beach
In the state of California, DUIs laws outline specific charges depending on whether this is your first offense or if you have a prior charge, as well as if you are charged with a misdemeanor or felony. However, while there are unique DUI enhancements that can lengthen your sentence, California also recognizes the importance of rehabilitation and you may be able to avoid imprisonment through a substance abuse program.
Generally, if you are convicted on your first DUI, you can face:
- Between a minimum of two days and a maximum of six months in a San Diego County jail
- A fine of up to $1,000
- A six-month license suspension or longer if your BAC is high enough
- A 30-day maximum vehicle impoundment
- Community service requirements
If you already have a DUI on your record, then your sentence can be enhanced to:
- Between a minimum of ten days and a maximum of one year in a San Diego County jail
- A fine of up to $3,000
- A two-year license suspension or longer if your BAC is high enough
- Vehicle impoundment
- Community service requirements
- Three to five years of probation
- Mandatory alcohol treatment enrollment
- Potential ignition interlock device installation
A third offense can further extend your sentence to:
- Between a minimum of 120 days in jail and a maximum of one year in a San Diego County Jail
- A fine of up to $5,000
- A revoked license for up to three years
- Community service requirements
- Admittance in a 30-month alcohol-treatment program
- Ignition interlock device installation
While these are only misdemeanor charges, three or more charges in a 10-year period can lead to felony charges, which means incarceration in a California state prison, hefty fines, and the loss of certain rights. Felony charges can also occur in case of DUIs involving injuries, such as auto accidents. Once a charge becomes a felony, the case is significantly more serious, and the prosecution may be dead set on a conviction. However, there are certain defenses that can get your charges reduced or dismissed.
Building a DUI Defense Strategy
Beating a DUI charge requires determination, expertise, and extensive knowledge of California laws. To effectively build a defense strategy, our legal team will need to review your case and any evidence against you. However, there are several common defenses we have used in the past to help our clients, which include:
- The tests were not administered correctly
- You were wrongfully pulled over
- The BAC test showed a false positive
- Insufficient evidence to prove you were under the influence of alcohol
- You only presented the objective signs of intoxication
- You did not refuse testing
- The arresting officer did not administer a 15-minute observation period
In addition to these defenses, you may be eligible to enter a plea of wet reckless. Wet reckless applies when your BAC tested below 0.08% and can allow you to avoid long prison sentences. However, if your attorney can effectively defend you in court or have your case dismissed, this plea may be unnecessary. You should speak to an attorney before the prosecution offers you any deal to ensure that you are aware of every option.
Get a North County Attorney on Your Side Today
Given the significant charges that can be brought against you in California, it is important to have a skilled Solana Beach criminal defense attorney at your side to guarantee that you get the best defense possible. A DUI can significantly impact your life, especially if you are from out of state or are a member of the military. Do not settle for a conviction when there is strong legal guidance out there to protect your rights. If you or someone you love has been charged with a DUI in Solana Beach, call jD Law Criminal Defense Attorneys at (760) 630-2000 for a free initial consultation.
Don’t Waste Any Time!
Call us today for a FREE Consultation
Find out the status of your loved
one in San Diego County
- Criminal Law Expert - Led by a Board Certified Criminal Law Specialist. Read More
- 100s of Cases Tried - Since 1990, James N. Dicks has represented hundreds of clients. Read Bio
- Client Approved - Read our online testimonials from satisfied jD Law Criminal Defense Attorneys Clients. Yelp Reviews
- April 20, 2023
Options if You’re Facing Charges with Mental …
- April 10, 2023
What is a Deferred Entry of Judgment (DEJ)?
- April 5, 2023
What Do Police Look for to Spot DUIs?