North County Drug Crime Lawyers
North County is located in the northern part of San Diego County. It includes Carlsbad, Del Mar, Encinitas, Oceanside, Solana Beach, Vista, Escondido, Poway, and San Marcos. This area has much to offer, including fabulous beaches, bars, restaurants, and historic movie theaters. Popular attractions include:
- San Diego Zoo Safari Park, with animals living in free-range enclosures
- Vista Del Mar Plaza, with upscale restaurants and boutique shops
- Legoland California, geared toward younger children between the ages of two and twelve
- Carlsbad Surf Museum (a museum dedicated to surfing) in Oceanside, CA
- Queen Califia’s Magical Circle – a sculpture garden of mythical creatures created by French artist Niki De Saint Phalle
California law is tough on drug crimes. The North County Branch of the District Attorney’s Office accepts crime reports for prosecution from ten law enforcement agencies, including five sheriff’s substations. The Narcotics Division of the DA’s Office prosecutes drug-related offenses in cooperation with other law enforcement agencies. Conviction of a drug crime could carry heavy penalties, including imprisonment and steep fines, leave you with a permanent criminal record, and impact your ability to find employment and housing in the future.
Many different drug-related activities are prohibited under California law. Examples of activities that qualify as drug crimes in North County include:
- Simple possession of illegal drugs
- Possession of drugs with intent to sell
- Cultivating marijuana
- Manufacturing methamphetamine
- Transporting a controlled substance
- Illegal use of prescription drugs
- Possession of prescriptions drugs for sale
In most cases, possession of an illegal drug is charged as a misdemeanor that may carry jail time and fines. Possession with intent to sell is a more serious felony charge that may carry probation, one to four years in county jail, and stiff fines in some cases. Drug diversion programs are not available for this offense. Sale, delivery, cultivation, and manufacture of illegal drugs are charged as felony offenses, with penalties that include high fines and years of imprisonment.
If you are facing drug charges in North County, your best chance of protecting your future is to have an experienced criminal defense lawyer by your side. Our North County drug crime attorney can investigate the prosecution’s case against you. We can evaluate the evidence, the witnesses and their statements, and other surrounding circumstances. We are well-versed in the possible legal defenses for drug charges, and we will fight aggressively against a wrongful conviction. Depending on the circumstances, examples of legal defenses include:
- You were unaware of the presence of the drugs.
- The illegal drugs were never under your control.
- The drugs belonged to someone else.
- Search and seizure to find the drugs was illegal.
- You had a valid prescription for the drugs.
- You only possessed the drugs temporarily and intended to dispose of them.
- There was no intent to sell – you possessed the drugs for personal use only.
- You did not understand that the product was a controlled substance.
At jD Law Criminal Defense Attorneys, we have experience defending clients against drug crime charges. As a certified criminal defense specialist and a former LAPD narcotics investigator, our founding attorney, James N. Dicks, is uniquely qualified to represent you. He has tried hundreds of cases and has more than two decades of experience. If you have been arrested for a drug crime in North County, call us at (760) 630-2000 as quickly as you can. The sooner we get involved, the more options you will have.
Don’t Waste Any Time!
Call us today for a FREE Consultation