Carlsbad DUI Defense Lawyers
Experienced Legal Defense Against Carlsbad DUI Charges
A DUI has serious ramifications that go beyond a suspended license, especially in Carlsbad. California courts and law enforcement are serious about cracking down on drunk driving, but this can lead to overcharging suspects. You could lose your job, lose your license, face jail time, and have to pay significant fees if you do not have a strong defense. However, in many cases, it is possible to beat DUI charges in North County.
If you have been arrested for DUI in Carlsbad, the importance of retaining an experienced Carlsbad criminal defense attorney cannot be overstated. California is serious about drunk driving charges, and you will need all the help you can get to have your charges reduced or dropped altogether. To receive the best defense in San Diego County, contact jD Law Criminal Defense Attorneys at (760) 630-2000.
What Types of DUI Cases Does jD Law Criminal Defense Attorneys Handle?
Our lead attorney, James N. Dick, is a former LAPD investigator and a Certified Criminal Law Specialist with 30 years of experience defending suspects against a wide variety of DUI charges. Our legal team can build a strong defense case for:
- First-offense DUI: Penalties are less severe for first-time offenders, but you should still take these charges as seriously as possible.
- Second or subsequent DUI: With a second or subsequent offense, you will be facing harsher penalties, such as increased jail time, higher fines, and more restrictions on your license and/or vehicle.
- Underage DUI: California zero-tolerance laws for underage drivers set lower limits for blood alcohol concentration (BAC), meaning minors can face significant charges if they do not have proper counsel. Additionally, minors face losing their license for a year – our team helps you navigate the application process to get your license back.
- Out-of-state DUI: Out-of-state defendants deserve the same thorough defense as any other client, and we aim to give you the best defense possible.
- Felony DUI: If the charges include an injury, death, or three or more convictions in the previous ten years, you may be looking at felony charges, which can affect your ability to vote, own a firearm, and get a job.
- Military DUI: A DUI can have catastrophic ramifications for a member of the military, including affecting their career and standing with their respective branch.
- Federal DUI: Federal DUI’s are rarer than other cases, as you must have been arrested for a DUI in a national park or on other federal property, but that rarity is especially why you need an experienced attorney to ensure you are not overcharged.
- DMV hearings and restricted license: We can defend against a driver’s license suspension in a DMV hearing or help you seek a restricted license with limited driving privileges.
What Are the Penalties for DUI in California?
Penalties for first-offense DUI may include jail time of two days to six months, fines of up to $1,000, and license suspension for four months, or one year for an underage driver. If your BAC is high enough, you might be required to attend a 9-month DUI school, and the court can order your vehicle impounded or require ignition interlock.
However, with subsequent convictions, DUI penalties increase drastically. Second offenders can face up to one year in jail, fines of up to $1,000, and suspension of your driver’s license for one year. The court can order your vehicle seized and sold and require you to attend a DUI program for up to 30 months. They are often not lenient on repeat offenders, so it is important to employ an experienced attorney who can thoroughly review your case and utilize a variety of defense strategies.
What Defenses Can a Carlsbad DUI Attorney Employ?
Depending on the circumstances of your case, our DUI defense attorney can evaluate the available evidence and charges against you to build a methodical defense strategy that may include:
- Illegal stops by law enforcement officers: The officer must have reasonable suspicion that someone in the vehicle had committed a crime before pulling you over. If the officer did not have a strong basis for those suspicions, your attorney may be able to achieve a dismissal on the grounds of an illegal stop.
- Faulty field sobriety testing: Different factors can cause poor test performance, including a lack of coordination, wearing boots or heels, an injury to the foot, and not speaking English as a first language. These tests are designed to be conducted in a controlled environment, but they often result in false positives in the field.
- Rising BAC levels: This defense alleges that BAC was below the legal limit at the time the defendant was driving but continued to rise between the traffic stop and the breath test.
- Objective signs of intoxication: These signs, which may include fatigue, slurred speech, and red eyes, can be symptoms of other physical issues entirely unrelated to alcohol impairment. Your attorney may be able to demonstrate that you were working late, have a medical condition, or had another underlying condition that falsely presented as intoxication.
Get the Legal Representation You Need Today!
DUI’s are not simple cases and can lead to significant jail time and restrictions if your case involved an injury or you have a previous conviction. The state of California justifiably wants to end DUI’s altogether, however, that can lead to overzealous convictions if you do not have a vigorous defense strategy.
If you have been charged with drunk driving in Carlsbad, then you should not hesitate to contact a Carlsbad DUI defense lawyer at jD Law Criminal Defense Attorneys. Our lead criminal defense attorney has extensive experience working in the San Diego County courts and successfully defending clients from DUI convictions. We can thoroughly investigate your case and expose any weaknesses to help build your defense. Call us at (760) 630-2000 to protect your future.
Don’t Waste Any Time!
Call us today for a FREE Consultation
Find out the status of your loved
one in San Diego County
- Criminal Law Expert - Led by a Board Certified Criminal Law Specialist. Read More
- 100s of Cases Tried - Since 1990, James N. Dicks has represented hundreds of clients. Read Bio
- Client Approved - Read our online testimonials from satisfied jD Law Criminal Defense Attorneys Clients. Yelp Reviews
- April 20, 2023
Options if You’re Facing Charges with Mental …
- April 10, 2023
What is a Deferred Entry of Judgment (DEJ)?
- April 5, 2023
What Do Police Look for to Spot DUIs?